Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence!

On the Fourth of July, I looked out across Albuquerque. I had a decent panoramic view of much of the city. I could see small poofs of red and green and gold light appearing and disappearing across the landscape. Even though people were celebrating by themselves or in small groups, it seemed as if the entire city was rejoicing in one voice, everyone reaching out together to provide pieces of the visual symphony. I sat and enjoyed the scene for some time, reflecting on the liberties that I now enjoy and the promise that freedom provides.

I liked the feeling that we are united in our celebration. What I wish to be more secure in the knowledge of is that we are actually celebrating our independence. Are we just lighting off fireworks because it's fun? because we have an excuse to? out of tradition?

I believe in liberty, and I celebrate the events that provided it for me. And I hope to make wise use of the freedoms I enjoy to benefit those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment