Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mutual Improvement

I have been recently reading the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. I just read a portion where he described how he and some of his friends would gather together once a week to read, and discuss what they had read. At one of these meetings, it was suggested that each of them take the week to endeavor to write some poetry, and then each bring back and present the next week to have the criticism, comments, and compliments of the other further improve their writing.

I think we need more of this. I daresay that more often than not, when friends get together, we usually amount to doing nothing during the period, though the pleasure of each other's company is enjoyable for sure. I enjoy hanging out and enjoying some entertainment with my friends, but perhaps we are missing opportunities to further grow because we are not acquainted with such practices in our modern culture. We are so used to our culture of entertainment that we don't take occasion for more in depth discussion on matters to which we may mutually desire to become more skilled or knowledgeable. Or perhaps we work so hard in other areas of life that when we find ourselves at leisure among friends, the furthest things from our thoughts are constructive activities and engagements of learning and growth.

So what do you say, friends? Can we do more than chill in each other's presence? Can we be engaging in a meaningful way without being boring or taxing? Can we be entertained and pleased in each other's company when we aren't saturated with electronic media, or is the full employment of our intellect reserved only for the classroom or the office?

I think we can be better. My own improvements stare me blatantly in the face. But having friends with you there makes it all the easier to do and grow.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good to me, but I haven't so much as enjoyed your company in years!

    ReplyDelete