Friday, May 21, 2010

Musicals are like life!

I thoroughly enjoy musicals. I like both listening to the music and watching the theatrical performance. I've heard people criticize musicals with phrases such as 'People never suddenly burst out into song in real life!' Well, whoever says that hasn't been around my family for long enough!! We do just randomly burst into song and dance, choreographed and everything! So maybe it's not the best of quality, but it's really funny to see.

However, besides the exception of my family, I realized something else: there's almost always a soundtrack to movies, but no one ever seems to complain that 'There's never a full orchestra following you around in real life!' But really, besides walking around with an iPod, you don't have music emanating as you go to narrarate your activities.

That's something that I have kind of always wanted. My own theme music.

And usually I have it...

Even if there aren't symphonies or speakers following me around, I can hear music in my head. Everyone can reply music they've heard in their head, so I just pick music that matches my mood or task. Or sometimes, if I'm feeling particularly creative, I'll just make up my own.

With musicals, I feel like the songs they sing and dance are the ones that we would in those circumstances if we could come up with it on the spot. Unfortunately, we usually can't. But music has a way of expressing emotion that words alone cannot. A song from a musical can represent my thought or current state better than an essay on the subject. The combination of words and music are what makes musicals so great and moving.

So bring them on, with their over the top expressiveness and elaborate schemes! Bring on the impromtu song and dance! Sure we'll look goofy, but it'll be tons of fun!

1 comment:

  1. Those days are over!
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/a5bf/

    ReplyDelete