Sunday, August 8, 2010

All things bright and beautiful

To continue on the theme of the previous post for a little...

Albuquerque has some of the best skies and sunsets. I have heard that watching the sun set over the pacific is amazing, but there is nothing like the sunsets we get here on a regular basis. This week alone has some exception cases. Driving home from work one day, the sunset was a brilliant transition from a deep orange through a radiant pink and into a stark purple across the billowing layers of clouds, staggered across the western sky.

What made this sunset even better though, was the fact that it was raining on the west side of town. Albuquerque is set in a valley, with the Sandia mountains on the east side, the Rio Grande running throught the center, and a small mesa on the west side, with another mountain in the distant west. I was on the east side of town, so I had a long, clear view over the town. Now back to the rain: the rain made it better because of its impeccable timing. The rain caught the beatiful colrs of the sunset, so I could look out and see an orange and pink rainstorm falling under the ornamental clouds.

I wish I had a picture of the scene (I have been meaning to get a camera...), but pictures just don't do it justice. I did a google image search for "Albuquerque sunsets", and the results were pretty, but drab in contrast to the real event.

Another recent sunset had some beautiful shafts of light coming out from a thin spot in the clouds, as if to highlight a few of their favorite houses. I love shafts of light. Besides the symbol of hope that they have been used for, they provide a nice accent to the scene and break in the coulds. The clouds glowing in the spots that they're too thin and color splashed on the edges also contribute to the masterpiece being painted in the sky each night

Bright colors on clouds that ebb and flow up the evening sky, light shining through in resplendent
glory, a last hurrah for the day at its close.

If you ever get a chance, come to Albuquerque and see the sunsets. Every now and then, the sunset is just okay...but that is the exception.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bryan!
    I stumbled across your blog and I just have to say, while I was able to snap a quick picture of one of ABQ's beautiful sunsets, your description did our sunsets more justice by far. These sunsets never cease to amaze me every time I come back to visit :)

    ReplyDelete