Sunday, September 26, 2010

Humanity

Last night, I ran up to the Y parking lot in Provo. It is one of my favorite spots to run. One, for its difficulty (all uphill, some of it very steep) to get a good workout, and two, for the vantage point I have at the top. I like to look out at the city lights, which I can see across most of the valley. Urban settings have their own beauty to them, especially at night.

From up high, it is easier to think of things on a grander scale. To view the whole rather than the parts. There are so many of us, humans that is, even in a small place like Happy Valley. We all live and interact with one another in various ways.

I've been thinking lately about what we do when we pass someone while on foot. Walking on the sidewalk, someone is coming the opposite direction. You look out and see them, you look down or away as you are approaching or walking by them, trying to avoid awkward eye contact with a stranger, while yet still trying to steal a glance to see what they look like or if you by chance may recognize them. There are many variations on this interaction, but I generally observe that we avoid speaking or even acknowledging the other person. We seem to prefer to walk and let walk, so to speak.

I stand guilty of ignoring humanity as I pass them on the street. Too often I pass by without recognizing their presence, as if they don't matter to me.

They do.

I have been blessed with a knowledge of the Gospel, and I know their worth. And apart from that, I know the great importance that an individual citizen has for the benefit of the whole. And the significance of being human, existing and having cognitive thought.

So, I resolve to do better. I resolve to return to yesteryear, when a cordial greeting would be exchanged by passersby, out of common courtesy and respect for the other. I resolve to speak more to my fellow man, and show them, at least for all of the 5 seconds that would make up our encounter, that they are significant in the world. I don't need to grab the attention of everyone that comes my way, but I know the opportunities that should be taken.

The world seems so much better when you're comfortable exchanging a warm hello with a stranger. And who knows but that their day will be brighter as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment